THE ABSENT

THE ABSENT
THE ABSENT - out now!

CRIPPLED HEARTS

CRIPPLED HEARTS
Out Now - For sale on Amazon and other onlne book sellers

SOLIDARITY WITH THE FLESH EATING MOSAIC AND OTHER POEMS by Raj Dronamraju

SOLIDARITY WITH THE FLESH EATING MOSAIC AND OTHER POEMS by Raj Dronamraju
Out Now

THE RETURN OF THE MAGNIFICENT NINNY AND OTHER POEMS by Raj Dronamraju

THE RETURN OF THE MAGNIFICENT NINNY AND OTHER POEMS by Raj Dronamraju
My first book of poetry available through Amazon and other online booksellers www.rajbooks.com

Thursday, May 3, 2012

ON POEMS OF LONGER LENGTH - EXAMPLE: THE FURIES BY STEPHEN SPENDER


Recently, my father sent me a volume of Stephen Spender’s poetry.  I’m a huge fan of Spender as I wrote before here http://rgdinmalaysia.xanga.com/689505456/some-thoughts-on-stephen-spenders-poetry/

This particular collection has a poem in it I’d not read before entitled THE FURIES.  It is a lengthy poem, five pages in total, and deals with an upper class mother‘s attempts to shield her son from the world and the son’s eventual death in combat during a war.

Lengthy poems are tricky.  The longest one I’ve ever written is a page and a half. It is only my opinion but I consider part of the challenge of writing poetry to be brevity.  Keeping it brief is a consideration of the form.

But that’s not to say there aren’t good long poems.  I like a lot of TS Eliot’s longer poems and back to THE FURIES....Spender has divided the verse into three parts.  He is telling a story so this is a function of relating narrative.  The length helps create the dichotomy between the safe world of the mother’s estate with its details of canned hunting trips and a safe but dull bride for the son and the last section wherein the boy goes out to serve his country away from a situation his mother can control and gets killed.

The last image is of the corpse of the son on the battlefield his eyes “at last wide open”.  That’s a striking final image....Death showing someone what life really is but does the poem need to be this long?

 Well it’s a good poem but probably not.  The verbiage does not get in the way but there probably could be less of it.  I understand why there is so much though because I do it myself – The pile-on effect of adding more and more details is fun and addictive for both the reader and the poet.  

   

No comments: