THE ABSENT

THE ABSENT
THE ABSENT - out now!

CRIPPLED HEARTS

CRIPPLED HEARTS
Out Now - For sale on Amazon and other onlne book sellers

SOLIDARITY WITH THE FLESH EATING MOSAIC AND OTHER POEMS by Raj Dronamraju

SOLIDARITY WITH THE FLESH EATING MOSAIC AND OTHER POEMS by Raj Dronamraju
Out Now

THE RETURN OF THE MAGNIFICENT NINNY AND OTHER POEMS by Raj Dronamraju

THE RETURN OF THE MAGNIFICENT NINNY AND OTHER POEMS by Raj Dronamraju
My first book of poetry available through Amazon and other online booksellers www.rajbooks.com

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

MY PRESIDENTIAL ENDORSEMENT FOR 2012- JILL STEIN AND CHERYL HOKALA-GREEN PARTY PLUS OBAMA 2.0, HYPOCRISY 2.0


I’ve been looking at alternatives to supporting Barack Obama’s re-election.  Someone who can combine my priorities with a good progressive platform.  I am not a Libertarian but as I‘ve written about many times on this blog I do support Ron Paul’s attempts for higher office based on his top three priorities 1.) Ending US Imperialism and the endless “war on terror” 2.) Legalizing drugs especially marijuana and ending the endless “drug war” 3.) Ending or reforming the Federal Reserve system.  In addition, Paul’s is one of the few major candidates who support repealing the unconstitutional Patriot Act.

However, Paul is not running in the general election and I don’t agree with the Libertarian Party’s philosophy taken as a whole.  I am not an ideologue and I think there is a role for government particularly in health care which is the big issue of the day.  Obamacare was a terrible solution-forcing people to buy private health care is not national healthcare and is about as conservative a solution to the problem as you can get.  I believe in a federally funded national healthcare program.  I also believe in gun control, electoral reform and a number of other issues normally associated with left wing thought.  In addition, Gary Johnson, the Libertarian party nominee, is a bit suspicious in his foreign policy belief as I’ve discussed here http://rgdinmalaysia.blogspot.com/2011/05/falling-in-love-with-ron-paul-all-over.html

I’ve been looking very closely at the Green Party platform and I find I agree with about 70% of it.  Their foreign policy which specifically calls for a right of return for the Palestinians and investigation of Operation Cast lead and other horrible human right violations, ending the Cuban embargo, and ending targeted assassinations is exactly the set of beliefs and goals I have.

I also support the Greens belief in universal healthcare, a universal wage, banning private prisons, and banking and insurance reform.

There are a few things I don’t support about them – don’t support making DC a state, don’t support prisoners being allowed to vote, don’t support some of their government/electoral restructuring ideas which would make the USA more like a European parliamentary system(although I do support them on getting rid of the electoral college and public financing of campaigns).  I’m also a bit of a global warming agnostic( I believe in climate change but believe the speed in which it is happening being deliberately exaggerated by climate change supporters for political reasons) which is after all their signature issue.  While the Green Party supports drug legalization, I don’t think they go far enough.  On the legalizing of prostitution, they are actually to the right of most of today’s laws.  I also think they don’t go far enough on gun control.

But still 70% is a lot more than I support either the Democratic and Republican party platforms and with the exception of climate change, the issues I don’t support them on are relatively minor.  The Green Party nominees this year are Jill Stein for President and  Cheri Honkala for Vice President I am endorsing them. The Green Party USA platform is here   http://www.gp.org/committees/platform/2010/index.php


    
Meanwhile, while I don’t support President Obama any longer, I do expect him to win another term barring some huge national catastrophe like terrorism or a full-on depression.  The Electoral College math still supports his re-election as does the polling in key states.  He is also running the right type of campaign against Mitt Romney – hitting him hard and fast on his failure to release taxes, his vulture capitalism, etc. not giving Romney a chance to breathe.

Listening to Obama makes me sick.  The man who is campaigning is like the man who campaigned in 2008.  Neither is like the president we’ve had the last four years – The one who approved targeted assassinations of US citizens, reneged on his promise to close Guantanamo Bay open, pushed through a flawed and ultimately unconstitutional health plan through, bailed out the big banks without any new tough regulations imposed and gave in on a number of issues(taxes for one) to a batshit crazy Republican congress.

The hope is with the re-election monkey off his back.  We will get a new President Obama one who shows that ultimately he is a progressive, not a product of party machinations.  We will see- For now, I stand by my assertion – He is nothing but ambition, there’s no desire for hope or change there, just desire to appear successful, the empty vanity of the TV Camera.     


No comments: