THE ABSENT

THE ABSENT
THE ABSENT - out now!

CRIPPLED HEARTS

CRIPPLED HEARTS
Out Now - For sale on Amazon and other onlne book sellers

SOLIDARITY WITH THE FLESH EATING MOSAIC AND OTHER POEMS by Raj Dronamraju

SOLIDARITY WITH THE FLESH EATING MOSAIC AND OTHER POEMS by Raj Dronamraju
Out Now

THE RETURN OF THE MAGNIFICENT NINNY AND OTHER POEMS by Raj Dronamraju

THE RETURN OF THE MAGNIFICENT NINNY AND OTHER POEMS by Raj Dronamraju
My first book of poetry available through Amazon and other online booksellers www.rajbooks.com

Thursday, June 18, 2009

WHY I NOW VALUE UTILITY OVER ART

Last weekend, I was buying a couch at a local furniture store and while I was waiting for the paperwork to be written up, I was watching television….This is rare for me as I do not own a television.

I found myself watching a reality program wherein a group of budding fashion designers created dresses, competed to use their models in fashion shows etc….One unlucky contestant is voted off at the end of each program.

What I noticed during the interviews with the contestants was the excessive nomenclature used such as “blue color palettes”….All kinds of stupendous adjectives utilized as jargon.

That is what any type of creation is now….It does not exist outside the goal of making money therefore it must follow the buzzword-itis that I have written about on this blog before.

In general, as all the arts have become more commercial, more about making a buck less about uninhibited free expression, I have lost interest in them….I now feel a job as a teacher or working in a factory can be just as important to the scheme of things as a musician or a writer or an actor.

As a person in their forties, I now value the use of something, it’s immediate value in satisfying a basic human need or in providing comfort for the user over artistic sell-out tripe (although a great novel can still put me in a good mood for weeks).

I’m not sure if that’s maturity or the final triumph of cynicism.

No comments: