THE ABSENT

THE ABSENT
THE ABSENT - out now!

CRIPPLED HEARTS

CRIPPLED HEARTS
Out Now - For sale on Amazon and other onlne book sellers

SOLIDARITY WITH THE FLESH EATING MOSAIC AND OTHER POEMS by Raj Dronamraju

SOLIDARITY WITH THE FLESH EATING MOSAIC AND OTHER POEMS by Raj Dronamraju
Out Now

THE RETURN OF THE MAGNIFICENT NINNY AND OTHER POEMS by Raj Dronamraju

THE RETURN OF THE MAGNIFICENT NINNY AND OTHER POEMS by Raj Dronamraju
My first book of poetry available through Amazon and other online booksellers www.rajbooks.com

Saturday, September 12, 2009

MUSICAL ROUND-UP- WHAT I'VE BEEN LISTENING TO LATELY

What I’ve been listening to lately….I originally posted most of this on a music forum I contribute to.


THE LAST SHADOW PUPPETS - THE AGE OF UNDERSTATEMENT
This cd actually came out in 2008 but I only recently heard it....Love the Merseybeat influence and the strings and the harmonies....Maybe its revisionism but its very good revisionism....Some of the faster songs even bring up The Divine Comedy at times.... Irresistible listening....I like The Arctic Monkeys but think that there needs to be more dimension to their music....It's good to see that Alex Turner is capable of something like this ....In fact, Alex Turner is beginning to remind me more and more of Paul Weller in his career and to me that's a good thing....

THE PAINS OF BEING PURE AT HEART-THE PAINS OF BEING PURE AT HEART
I really like what these guys are trying to do which is filter a Talking Heads sensibility circa 77 or MORE SONGS ABOUT BUILDINGS AND FOOD through both My Bloody Valentine/Slowdive and The Smith….The male/female vocal interplay, the layered guitars, and the college intellectual culture songwriting style are all great but I do think that these songs cry out for a middle 8….They are basically just verse-chorus-verse-chorus….I really look forward to their second cd.

ANTONY AND THE JOHNSONS- THE CRYING LIGHT
You really have to be in a certain mood to get into this although no one can deny the power of the unique angelic vocals….At times, I am reminded of Bryan Ferry with his balls chopped off….Not a huge difference between this and NOW I’M A BIRD but I do like it….Actually my favorite song by ATJ is THE LAKE which is from an ep of the same name.

THE ARCTIC MONKEYS – HUMBUG
Heard this yesterday for the first time and my first impression is this is exactly what they needed to do and what I hoped they would do which is make advancements in their music without sacrificing what made them so popular to begin with-youthful energy, fresh take on a traditional sound, and funny story lyrics….This isn’t SGT PEPPER but it isn’t BE HERE NOW either….The Arctic Monkeys are a band that I find impossible to dislike….So far only one song has imbedded itself in my subconscious DANCE LITTLE LIAR but I know that will change….First impression-every song is good!!!

ST. VINCENT – ACTOR
Heard this due to the recommendation back in the US who loves this cd….My thoughts are the fast songs are great(such as LAUGHING WITH A MOUTH OF BLOOD) but the slow songs kind of boring(such as THE BED)….A good cd not a great one….I think they got a bit carried away in the studio and some of the songs really feel cluttered with unnecessary instruments and arrangements.

FLORENCE AND THE MACHINE- LUNGS
Compare this to St Vincent and this is much better….Heavy Kate Bush influence(SWIMMING is basically a rewrite of CLOUDBUSTING) here but better than anything she has done in awhile….Liking this more and more….Favorite songs are DOG DAYS ARE OVER, I’M NOT CALLING YOU A LIAR and COSMIC LOVE.

PHOENIX- WOLFGANG AMADEUS PHOENIX
I don’t get into this at all….Sloppy uninteresting music….At times reminds me of the Lo-Fi scene of the early 90’s particularly Pavement a band I truly detest….I believe these guys are French and I am reminded of the saying “In France, they think Jerry Lewis is a genius”.

WOLFSHEIM – SELF-MADE COMPILATION
Synth pop is a guilty pleasure of mine and when you have a soulful front man or woman and a catchy hook, it can be sublime….Never heard of these two guys from Germany until I moved to Malaysia but apparently they have been around since the late 80’s….While the overly dramatic Teutonic Sprockets type vocals can border on the ridiculous at times, the melodies are often memorable for example: ONCE IN A LIFETIME….Good club music with the inevitable re-mixes and also for the 80’s nostalgias buff (such as myself).

No comments: