THE ABSENT

THE ABSENT
THE ABSENT - out now!

CRIPPLED HEARTS

CRIPPLED HEARTS
Out Now - For sale on Amazon and other onlne book sellers

SOLIDARITY WITH THE FLESH EATING MOSAIC AND OTHER POEMS by Raj Dronamraju

SOLIDARITY WITH THE FLESH EATING MOSAIC AND OTHER POEMS by Raj Dronamraju
Out Now

THE RETURN OF THE MAGNIFICENT NINNY AND OTHER POEMS by Raj Dronamraju

THE RETURN OF THE MAGNIFICENT NINNY AND OTHER POEMS by Raj Dronamraju
My first book of poetry available through Amazon and other online booksellers www.rajbooks.com

Friday, April 2, 2010

PLEASANTLY SURPRISED BY THE INLAND TAX REVENUE BOARD

Coming from the US, I must admit I don’t have a good opinion of tax gathering bodies….The IRS has been vilified in the USA and justifiably so as they behave in a heavy handed manner and can’t seem to make the proper determination in regards to severity when dealing with individual tax issues….I’m not looking forward to dealing with them if I ever go back to the USA.

Since coming to Malaysia, I have dealt with the Inland Revenue Board (as it’s called here)only by mail or through my past employers….This was the first year that I have had to go in to a tax office to figure out how much I owe as I changed jobs at the end of last year.

While Malaysia has greatly improved its government services over the years I’ve been here and by improved I’m talking about the immigration department which really has gone from a third world nightmare to a decently run agency with set rules and regulations, I still didn’t expect much from the tax department.

However, I was pleasantly surprised….I was led into a room of computers where a Malay gentleman who spoke very good English helped me find my account on-line through the E filing system and set it up correctly with a password….Within fifteen minutes, everything was completed….Not only did I not owe anything for 2009, I was due back a refund which will be coming to me in 30 days.

The service was really, really good….I’ve always said that two of the biggest factors that stop Malaysia from competing in the global marketplace are customer service and corruption….My recent experiences in immigration have also been very positive….Malaysia’s on the right track I think.

Their website is not bad either….



No comments: